- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a pan and fry the onion, mushrooms and garlic over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring from time to time. Remove from the heat and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add the rice, egg and seasoning and mix well.
- Lightly oil two metal cooking rings (4 x 8cm). If you don’t have rings you can use pastry cutters. Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan and add the cooking rings, pack the rice mixture evenly into each ring, pressing down well with the back of a spoon.
- Cook over a medium to low heat for 5 to 6 minutes, before carefully removing the rings. Turn the cakes over using a fish slice and cook for a further 5 to 6 minutes, until golden and crispy*.
* When reheating rice, make sure it's totally heated through before serving.