Beetroot chocolate cake - Desserts Vegetarian - Morrisons Recipe
Rich in flavour and moist in texture this cake is quick to prepare.
- 225g g self-raising flour
- 70g g cocoa
- 200g g demerara sugar
- 150mlml sunflower oil
- 300g g cooked beetroot
- 3 large eggs
- 3 tbsptbsp milk
- To decorate
- 200g g white chocolate, broken into cubes
- 300g g low-fat soft cream cheese
- 25g g grated chocolate or chocolate curls
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4. Line the base of a 20cm round loose-bottom cake tin with a disc of baking parchment. Lightly brush the sides of the tin with a little oil.
- Sift the flour and cocoa into a large mixing bowl and stir in the sugar.
- In a food processor, blend together the oil, beetroot, eggs and milk and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level with the back of a spoon. Bake for 40 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre of the cake. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, melt the white chocolate cubes in a bowl over a pan of gently simmering water until smooth. Remove from the heat, then beat well with the cream cheese.
- Spread the mixture over the sides and top of the cake, roughing it up with a palette knife. Scatter grated chocolate or chocolate curls over the top and cut into wedges to serve.
Serves 12 people
of your Guideline Daily Amount (GDA)